Neurological conditions are those that affect the central nervous system and can alter the way a patient moves, speaks, learns, breathes, or swallows. These diseases can also negatively impact mood, senses, vision, and memory. Some of the neurological conditions that we treat at New Beginnings Family Chiropractic include:
How Does a Physical Therapist Help?
After a patient suffers an injury, there is a duration during which a patient’s uninjured cells in the brain and spinal cord preserve the ability to learn how to control the functions that were lost. Our physical therapists specializing in neurological conditions can use that ability to teach patients how to move correctly again.
Physical therapy has become such an essential part in the rehabilitation of patients with neurological conditions that the American Physical Therapy Association has provided a sub-specialty for neurological therapists. These types of therapists work with patients to stop the neurological condition from progressing.
One of the most important aspects we work on is balance training to improve stability, prevent falling, and maintaining sufficient strength in your legs and core. Some examples of balance exercises include:
- Standing on one leg and raising the other
- Heel-to-toe (tightrope walking)
- Walking with high knees
- Standing up from a sitting position
In Parkinson’s Disease for instance, the brain struggles with transitional movements, holding/stabilizing movements, as well as completing movements. Research from the National Parkinson Foundation has shown that neurological physical therapy provides effective treatment for Parkinson’s patients at all stages of the disease:
- Before the symptoms of Parkinson’s start showing, neurological physical therapy helps keep patients fit, mobile, and better prepared to take on the symptoms in the future. This type of therapy can even prevent the onset of the symptoms altogether.
- During the time the symptoms first start showing, our therapists can assist the patient in relearning how to walk, rise and sit, as well as perform other basic movements.
- After the symptoms have been successfully treated, neurological physical therapy is used to retain the motor skills that were gained in treatment.
If you are considering Neurological Physical Therapy as an option, call us today at (817) 431-4242 or use our Online Form Submission to get in contact with one of our experts at New Beginnings Family Chiropractic. We hope to hear from you soon!